You may not know it but people who dabble or dive into creative hobbies are lifelong learners. Are you eager to gain knowledge and insights on how and why things work? Do you seek different approaches for achieving creative results? The best pairing is when you click with an engaging and inspiring instructor who challenges you to reach your goals.
I am a lifelong learner with an energic passion to elevate skills and knowledge in the ceramic arts and other fine craft. I proud of the connections I have made with my students in the past, and look forward to making new ones with you.
I have always loved creating content for my students, seeing their minds work as they created within the constraints of the guidelines, helping them work through the practical side of media and then seeing their progress, and reading about their discoveries. I can tell you that I don’t miss reading class sets of critiques, but I always felt informed and connected after reading them.
Many teachers say they learn as much from their students as the students learn from them. It was true in many ways, as their struggles, successes, and insights helped me to tweak and improve projects each time.
I love researching and making connections especially when it helps beginners understand complex ideas. Creating projects for my online ceramics course has been a ton of fun as I made sketches, prototypes, and the final project in clay as well as the step-by-step instructions and videos that go along with each one.
My Online Course
I launched the Hand Building Ceramics at Home online course in February with a group of friends and acquaintances who ranged from beginner to beyond. Their feedback was instrumental as I edited the course for the next launch this Fall. It's got all the bells and whistles of the original but with a bit of fine tuning to give you the best experience.
The course Hand Building Basics runs Oct 4 – Nov 29, 2022 and registration just opened.
The course content is secured on the Thinkific teaching platform and students will have a course dashboard with a personal login.
The will be two project options per module: Set and Free Choice. You can create the ceramic object in the Set Project with the same theme and imagery, if that how you like to learn, or if you like to absorb your learning and apply it with your own ideas, you can follow the Free Choice Project with your own theme and imagery. Either way there will be PDF instructions and guiding questions to help you create. Essentially there are 12 projects in total but with even more opportunities to explore new ideas.
Each module will have at least 3 lessons.
- Lesson 1 will introduce students to historical and contemporary examples and well as at least one element and one principle of design.
- Lesson 2 will go over basic techniques needed for the module if not easily shown in the project itself.
- Lesson 3: will give step-by-step instructions for the Set Project.
- Lesson 4: will give a framework for completing a Free Choice Project with the module techniques.
Here's a peek at the 6 Modules:
Module 1: Sculptural Modelling
The lessons are presented as videos. In most cases, the ceramic instruction is presented in time lapse videos to give you insight into the steps involved without watching “paint dry”. You will also have the ability to speed up the videos if you want a quicker viewing and listening pace.
A private Facebook Group has been created for this course:
- You’ll be able to ask me questions throughout the course.
- You’ll have the opportunity to share your progress and seek advice.
- You’ll be able to bounce ideas with peers and chat with other participants.
There will be 3 LIVE Q&A Zoom sessions:
- LIVE #1: will allow you to ask questions about the course, we’ll set the times for the other 2 LIVE sessions, and best of all meet fellow participants. Questions can be sent in ahead of time or asked directly.
- LIVE #2: happens after the release of Modules 1-3 and the Implementation Week at week 4, so you will hopefully have completed the first 3 modules and can share your successes and discoveries, armed with questions for your next steps.
- LIVE #3: happens after the release of Modules 4-6 and the Implementation Week at week 8, so you will hopefully have completed the entire course and we can celebrate your successes, and you can share your questions and plans for your next steps beyond the course.
You will have the opportunity to find an Accountability Partner or Pod:
- You’ll make new friends.
- You’ll share your personal ceramic journeys.
- You’ll set goals together.
You will have lifetime access to this course. You can repeat each module with different themes and imagery repeatedly following the creative process and guiding questions.
Early Birds Get the Worm and Discount Code
If you register early, you will have early access to the Bonuses and Extras which may help up set up your home studio with a few time-saving and organizational strategies.
As a special bonus for subscribing to my newsletter, I'm providing you with a 10% discount off the course fee until September 22th, 2022.
Be sure to use this code: subscriber10 at check out.
Creativity is Contagious. Pass it on!
If you are interested in more information about this course or know anyone who might be interested, please share this link to the info page. Hand Building Basics Fall 2022
I’d be honoured to lead you on your ceramic journey.